Early Halibut fishing has been very good. Wind has been a factor, leading to a number of trip cancellations. I fished East Race yesterday, hit four halibut, releasing one that was over 150 cm (100 plus lbs). Most of the hits came on a large Gibbs Delta Peanut Butter Hoochie, with an Oil Slick curly tail attached to the leader below it. I was using a size 14 Circle hook and fishing in 280 feet of water. We hit one fish on the flood tide an the other three on the ebb as it picked up.
Here are the 2016 / 2017 Halibut Regulations:
2016 HALIBUT LIMITS
Halibut measures in effect April 1, 2016 until further notice.
- The maximum length for halibut is 133cm.
- The daily limit for halibut is one (1).
- The possession limit for halibut is two (2), only one of which may be greater than 83cm in length. Note: This is a change from last year.
- The annual limit is six (6) halibut per licence holder, as set out on the 2016-2017 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence.
- All halibut retained by the licence holder shall be immediately recorded in ink on the 2016-2017 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence. The area from which each halibut is caught and its length (cm) shall immediately be recorded on licence.